Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Oh Ankles, I've Missed You!

I've had an on and off problem with my feet swelling.  Being a side effect of hypothyroidism, I do experience it from time to time but most often during travel or heat.  My feet started swelling on day two of my road trip at the end of June.  We spent 17 hours in the car that day and covered A LOT of ground.  I then walked Seattle for a few days and got back in the car, then walked Vancouver and got on a plane.  My feet kept getting bigger and bigger.  Then the heat wave hit and I noticed that even my lower calves were retaining water.  I could actually make a dent.  I was constantly trying to keep them elevated to alleviate.  I felt like my whole lower half was larger than normal because my jeans that were fine, suddenly became tight.

I started counting my points last Tuesday and weighed in at 215.4.  Two days ago, the heat wave broke for a couple days and I noticed things were starting to feel better.  My jeans were looser and I could actually get my sandals on my feet.  This morning I weighed in at 207.0.  8.4 pounds!  I would bet that was 7 pounds of water and 1.4 pounds of actual weight.  Here is a before and after of my feet.  These pics are only two weeks apart.  My pregnant friend messaged me that her feet were super swollen so I took a picture of my foot and said mine too.  She replied with "Holy Sh*t!  Why is that happening?"  Haha - I said "Probably because I'm fat and it's hot."
SERIOUSLY!!

In activity news, our new session of work classes started up and I'm loving it.  I even got another friend to try the classes and she signed up for two a week.  Love that I have one more friend going.  I go Tuesday (Sculpt), Wednesday (Core & More), Thursday (Zumba).  I also joined a 10 km clinic at the Running Room that started tonight so I cranked out just over 4 kms.  Had to get back into running REGULARLY.  Not just sporadic 5 & 10 km races everywhere.  The heat has really killed me.  Plus the foot swelling didn't really make it comfortable to lace up my runners and pound the pavement.  Seems like a great group and the beauty of this clinic is that it will start off in heat (tonight was 27C/81F), and it will just progressively get cooler until it's Fall which is my favourite running time of the year. :)

That's it for now!  Hope everyone is staying cool!


7 comments:

  1. I too struggle with the swollen feet, ankles and this year it just kept inching up my legs! All those same factors affect mine too although I do not have hypothyroidism. I'm just fat. I have been seeing more of the old ankle lately since we have been walking daily. Isn't it amazing when you start to see that swelling disappear? Amazed by all your activities! Good for you! I know that will make a huge impact and fast! Bravo!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple of times, I actually took two cushions off the couch and slept with my feet up and that really helped. Didn't completely take it away but it took off some pressure! Such a pain in the butt!!!

      Delete
  2. I have a blood clotting disorder so I have to wear these stupid compression stocking all the bloody time now. BUT... they may be hot, but they do work. If I don't wear them, my ankles/legs look so huge that I have cankles. UGH! I feel your pain with the swelling.

    Wonderful loss this week too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know what?! I have compression socks for running and I never thought to use them for that!!! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. That's a lot of swelling! Hopefully a you continue to lose the swelling will become a thing of the past!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi to everybody, here everyone is sharing such knowledge, so it’s fastidious to see this site, and I used to visit this blog daily,I have been searching to find a comfort or effective procedure to complete this process and I think this is the most suitable way to do it effectively.I love the way you write and share your niche! Very interesting and different! Keep it coming!

    major ports in india



    ReplyDelete