In the past, I've usually fallen off plan because of a mixture of cravings and boredom. What I've been doing lately is finding substitutions for whatever my craving is. Most recently, it seemed like everyone was talking about hot dogs. I love hot dogs. Haven't had one in ages. Yesterday I bought a package of Yves Veggie Dogs. I used half of one of those thin buns as a hot dog bun, light cheese slice, mustard & relish, and chopped onion. Yum!!! I also made sweet potato fries. So good, it felt indulgent and it took care of that hot dog craving.
|Haha! Looks gross but totally hit the spot!|
Other substitutes I've been using that while not exact, are close enough that I feel like I've satisfied the craving when it hits:
- Pop Chips, I love salt & vinegar and barbeque.
- Mini Rice Cakes in chip flavors but I do prefer the Pop Chips over the rice cakes.
- Any frozen fruit blended in my Vitamix with a bit of water. Makes something close to gelati. I use milk when I want it to be more like an ice cream. Most recently, I used a frozen banana and 1 tbsp of peanut butter. So so good! When I'm using blueberries or strawberries, I sneak spinach in there too.
Meal planning for me was always a challenge. Cooking for one sucks. Mostly because you look at a recipe and it seems like a lot of work to cut it in half because a "whole can" is required, then you've got half a can of whatever leftover. I decide to just make the whole recipe and then I'm eating the same thing for days. I find my biggest challenge is getting to food before it goes bad. I've started making things that are versatile and freeze well.
- Baked Brown Rice. I got this recipe from daisygirl and it has worked wonders. I make the casserole dish of rice once every 10 days maybe. I bought some snack size bags from the dollar store and I freeze it in 1/2 cup portions. SO EASY! I use it as a base for a quick stir fry or a side with supper. I've mixed 1/2 cup with a bit of baked chicken breast and one of those Green Giant Steam broccoli & cheese sauce packages and it's an instant casserole.
- Black Beans. I love adding black beans to things like chili, salad, soups, quesadillas. However, if you're not using the whole can, black beans turn on you quickly and turn your fridge into a "somebody died in there" situation. I bought a bag of dried black beans ages ago and only recently found what to do with them and it's amazing!! Slow Cooker! I used this method/recipe and now I have the equivalent of 3 1/2 cans of black beans in the freezer and the best part is that I can just take some out and use it without wasting the rest of the can. And it's cheap!
- Flatout Bread. I love love love flatout bread. I use it for pizza, salad wraps, scrambled eggs, and so on. I even cut them up and bake them for tortilla chips with salsa. Versatile, quick, freezable, and delicious.
- Eggs Benedict. I got this from Natasha and it has become my beloved Saturday morning tradition. Treadmill, Barbell Blast class, home for Eggs Benedict and coffee.
- Smoothies. I pretty much chuck whatever into the blender. This morning before the gym it was blueberries, 1/2 banana, two big handfuls of spinach, 1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder, and water.
- Friends. There are now four fantastic women who come with me to Barbell Blast and Boot Camp. With there being a few who are regularly coming, I pretty much know I won't be there by myself and I'm not dreading going anymore!!! That's huge. I'm loving it.
- PVR. I'm a tv junkie. I admit it. I don't care. I love that while I'm busting my butt at the gym, I know that my trusty PVR will have recorded whatever it is I'm missing and I can watch it sans commercials as soon as I get home!
- Melatonin. I'm not a fantastic sleeper. Not good at all actually. Someone had suggested melatonin a while back so on the days when I'm feeling restless and not relaxed enough to fall asleep, I take some melatonin and it has worked wonders for me.
- This blog. I never imagined there was this whole community out there. Yay!