Sunday, February 12, 2012

Solitary Confinement - it's for your own good.

I've had a very solitary weekend which is good for a mid-life crisis.  Keeps me from spreading the poison around and makes it easier to not say "piss off" to every shiny, happy person.  :)  I weighed myself this morning.  212.4.  Ouch.  I don't remember when the last time I weighed myself was.  Probably sometime in December.  Works out that I've gained 3 pounds since whenever that was.  I started counting my points yesterday.  I started off with one of my favorites for breakfast.  Eggs.  I sauteed mushrooms, onions, and spinach and then scrambled in an egg and put it in a wrap spread with laughing cow.  Yum yum yum.  I'm convinced that if you put anything in a wrap/tortilla, it tastes better.  Salad, eggs, anything.

It was really cold yesterday so I wanted to avoid going out and scraping the windshield.  Looking around the kitchen, this is what I had.  A bag of onions, two 2lb bags of carrots, and two butternut squash that I had meant to turn into soup a long time ago.  One of the squash has a soft spot, jerk going to the dark side.  And what is one person doing with not one, but two bags of carrots??  There's just one thing to do -- SOUP. 

My new boyfriend Keurig sneaks into pictures.

I made a curried butternut squash soup and a carrot ginger soup.  I hate cutting and peeling squash so I decided to roast it to soften it up and I read somewhere that it is easier to peel after and it gives it a more flavorful nutty taste.  Although, I don't even know if that's right because when people start talking about roasting and nuttiness, I check out, much like the way I check out when people start talking about notes and woodiness and so on in red wine, blah blah blah, pour me another glass fool!!  I decided to throw a couple onions on there to roast as well.  Turns out that was genius because when I coarsely chopped it into chunks later, there were no tears.  Score!!!  I hate cutting onions.  I tear up like crazy and then end up crying for some other reason.  It's like the onion tears bring up real emotions.  Fricking onions.

Simmered, blended, and poured into containers.

A few hours ago, I was sitting on the couch all woe is me because it seems everyone I know is just coming back from, or just going to a tropical vacation.  I'm not even kidding.  Five people in my immediate vicinity.  Mexico, Florida, Hawaii, Caribbean cruise, and Vegas.  Jealous jealous jealous!  I so want to go somewhere and just don't have the money.  I have less than zero dollars.  I spent money I didn't have last year visiting my family.  And what really sucks is that so long as I live far away from my family and I want to visit them, I will never go somewhere tropical and fun because the money just won't be there.  So basically, I need a free or deeply discounted vacation.  

Then I started thinking that even if a free vacation fell in my lap right now, I would at first be so excited and then I'd be sad because I would be self-conscious about my weight.  That got me off the couch.  I said in my last post that I was going to start walking and that I was going to that today.  It was beautiful and sunny out.  A bit windy on my way back so my inner ear hurts a bit right now but it will pass.  The path though was really icy, I did a funny dance about half a dozen times to prevent my ass from hitting the ground.  But all in all, the walk felt good.  I downloaded a new app for my iPhone called Runmeter that uses GPS.  It seems really cool so far, it makes me my own competition.  I used a walking trail to walk from my place to a Tim Horton's and back.  I entered it as a route so the next time I walk that, I select the route and it will tell me if I'm slower or faster than last time.  It also keeps track of all of the walks or whatever you are doing and has many activities to choose from.  On my way though, I saw one of my neighbors and we stopped to chat for about 5 - 10 minutes.  I should have taken my phone out of my pocket to pause it because while I was standing there, the time just kept ticking away.  I'll have to look into settings.  Maybe there is a setting for  pausing after a minute of inactivity.  This app will also be a cool way to keep track of my 30 km's in a week.  I always have my phone with me so even if I try to get in a walk on my lunch break, I can use it.  


I wish I hadn't turned around yet, I could have had 4km!
So excited for the Walking Dead tonight!!  AMC has a marathon on right now until the new episode tonight.  I keep pausing at commercials to get stuff done.  Before it starts, I need to have my white hair colored, my lunch packed, and my condo cleaned.  Thankfully Cely set out clear instructions and I can get it all done.  Read it, it's hilarious.  As I'm sitting here watching the episode where Glenn discovers that they are keeping Walkers in the barn, I'm wondering something.  Glenn can't keep a secret so he spills the beans instantly.  Then everyone finds out.  What I don't get is why the people keeping the Walkers in the barn didn't come clean and say that Sophia was in the barn.  Whoever put her there, knew they'd captured a young girl Walker.  Wonder if that will come out in the new episodes.  Poor Sophia.

I just realized that Downton Abbey is on from 8 - 10 tonight and the Walking Dead is on from 8 - 9.  Thank goodness for PVR.  

Anybody have an favorite apps for iPhone?  Anybody else love The Walking Dead or Downton Abbey?

ps.  managed to get my PVR down to 40%, woohoo!  Now, to clean and be ready for the shows tonight.





No comments:

Post a Comment