Monday, August 20, 2012

Giddy-Up!

With my running clinic cancelled, I've been put in the 5km/10km clinic starting in September.  Because that clinic doesn't start at running a minute or anything, I need to get up to speed before then or else jumping into that clinic won't be possible.  I'm using an app called Get Running and I really like it.  I love the little screen, I love that each workout is also written out on the screen so you know what you're in for.  It suggests dates for your runs and then gives you a little check mark once that run is done.  Another cool thing is that there is a non-obnoxious voice that prompts you but not overly so.  I love the 30 second warnings because that's right when I'm feeling like I want to stop but then I don't because I can do anything for another 30 seconds.  Also, it works while listening to music.  At the time of the voice prompt, the music decreases in volume but continues, and then goes back to normal volume.  I like that I don't have to keep watching my watch or watching the time on the treadmill, I just run when she says run and walk when she says walk.  

Today's run was 29 minutes.  It included a five minute warm up walk which I did at 3.8 mph, then alternated running one minute with walking 90 seconds 8 times.  I ran my minutes at 5.5 mph. Then a 3 1/2 minute cooldown walk, again at 3.8.  I tacked an extra minute onto the workout to make it an even 30 minutes.  I paused the machine at the 30 minutes to take a picture and then walked another 5 to cool down because my heart rate was still quite high.  
The 45 seconds is the pause countdown timer, not a World Record.
I will do my weekend run outside when it's cool in the morning.  For now, it's still too hot in the evening for me to get it done outside.  I'm a heat wimp.  Especially starting out, I don't want it to discourage me.  
Totally got caught taking pic in change room.

So right now, I'm really happy and quite proud of myself and I have to remind myself of this feeling when it comes to Wednesday and it's time to run again.  Tomorrow evening:  BOOT CAMP!!!


2 comments:

  1. Awesome job on the run! I like that app too, it's really cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a an interesting app! I'll have to check it out :)

    ReplyDelete